It's that time of year again....MARATHON TRAINING




I cannot believe it has already been a year since I last put myself through the perils of marathon training. I certainly have a love/hate relationship with training.....it is really fun to push your body and see exactly what you are capable of, but man, it is a LOT of running. Pretty much my entire summer revolves around training, including my eating habits, which can put a damper on summer fun sometimes. This blog post will talk about all things marathon....hopefully it will help some of you out!


If this is your first marathon, I know how excited, overwhelmed, nervous, and all other emotions you are feeling right now. 26.2 miles is a LOT of miles! My biggest advice in this circumstance is to take one step at a time...literally. You are way more capable of doing this than you know. Before you even set out on a run, make sure you have the following:

Marathon Training Plan
There are so many to choose from, I know. Do your research! Pick one that goes along with the allotted time you have to train before your run date. Also, pick one that you can realistically stick to! Some training plans have times and miles to run during the week, while others just have specific mileage. Below are linked a few different training plans to give you a sense of what may work best for you.
https://www.verywellfit.com/beginner-marathon-training-schedule-22-weeks-2911392
https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/marathon-training/novice-1-marathon/
https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/c/running/nike-run-club/training-plans/marathon

There are a million different ones out there, so look through a bunch and pick ONE. Do not mix and match different plans together. Then print it off and post it on your fridge so you can mark off the days as your complete them. Make sure you go through your schedule as well and clear your days that you have long runs. You do not want to have a long run planned the day after a wedding or friend's birthday....running and hangovers do not mix well, trust me on this one. The day before your long run, you should eat super clean, hydrate a ton, DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL, and get to bed a reasonable hour. I always try and stretch/foam roll a little bit before I go to bed as well to make sure that my muscles are in tip top shape.

Running Shoes
Brand new running shoes are an absolute must before your start training. If you have no idea what kind of shoe to get, go to a store where they have a bunch of different options and brands; preferably one where you can try them out for a little while and return them if you they don't work for you. Remember, just because your friend swears by one type of shoe doesn't mean that that type of shoe will be good for you. I actually have two different kinds of shoes; one pair that I use for my shorter runs, and one pair I use specifically for my longer runs. You certainly do not have to spring for two different pairs of shoes as that can become pricey, however it helps in keeping your shoes from wearing out as quickly. You should replace your shoes every 300-500 miles to ensure that you are getting the proper support to help avoid injury. Here is a list of some good long distance running shoes: https://runnerclick.com/10-best-long-distance-running-shoes/

Running Tracker
Whether it be a FitBit, Apple Watch, Garmin watch, or particular tracking app, you NEED something that will track your mileage. It is also great to have something that tracks your pace so you are able to see where you struggle, reward yourself for your success, and keep yourself on pace in order to avoid burnout. I love my Apple Watch, but if you do not want to spring for a wearable device, there are plenty of apps out there that track your mileage and pace for you as well. The Nike Run Club app is great especially for city dwellers, because it automatically pauses when you stop moving. That way, being stopped at a stop light will not have a negative impact on your pacing. There is also MapMyRun which is a great one as well. Just like the shoes, try a few out and pick what you like best.

Running Gear
Besides your shoes and mileage tracker, there are other essentials that you will need to help make running more enjoyable.

  • Music/podcasts. Those long runs are well, long. It is great to have something to help take your mind off your screaming legs and the long mileage. Variation is going to be very helpful to make sure you do not get bored. Make multiple playlists so you are not listening to the same songs over and over again. Change up listening to music on some days and podcasts on other days. Play around with it and have fun!
  • Running belt and wireless headphones. You do NOT want to be holding your phone on your 20 mile run, trust me on this one. A running belt is going to be a life saver to help you go hands free. I use the flipbelt https://www.amazon.com/FlipBelt-Level-Terrain-Waist-Pouch/dp/B00JF9DU4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528315198&sr=8-1&keywords=flipbelt+amazon and I swear by it. There are so many compartments to put your phone, keys, ID, Gus/blocks, etc. I also swear by wireless headphones....it just makes things easier with moving to not have to worry about wires hanging from your ears to your phone. Just make sure it is fully charged before you head out for your run to avoid the battery dying.....I can't tell you how many times my headphones have died mid-run. Not fun.
  • Water Bottle(s).  Hydration is so, so, SO important when you are running. Do not even dare set out on a long run without proper hydration.Some people like the water bottles you can keep on your waist on a running belt, others prefer camelbacks, or hand water bottles. Again, it is all preferance and what makes you feel most comfotable. I use the Nathan SpeedDraw Plus Insulated Flask https://www.amazon.com/Nathan-Insulated-Running-Bottle-Bluestone/dp/B01N1UOO47/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1528315431&sr=1-4&keywords=nathan+water+bottle It just rests in my hand, plus the little zipper pack is great for keeping your Gus or blocks in for easy access. The insulation also helps keep your water cold on those hot summer runs. 
  • Nourishment. Once you get into 12+ miles, you are going to need to start taking some sort of nourishment to keep you going. This things include Gus, blocks, gummies, etc. Again, it is all about what works for you and your stomach. Some people hate Gu due to the taste and how it sits in their stomach...I personally love Gu. Just make sure that once you pick something you like, stick to it; you want to make as little changes in your routine as possible, because you do not know how your body is going to react to these changes. Do you research and buy some sample sizes of different kinds of products to try and see what you like best. Also, make SURE you eat something before you walk out that door to start your run. A SMALL meal with a combination of carbs and healthy fats is going to be best for you body. And just like the mid-run nourishment, make sure you eat the same thing every single time. You will also have to play around with timing of your pre-run meal as well as the timing of when you take your mid-run nourishment. It takes a little while to settle into a routine, but it is so important to stick to the same thing and not make many changes. 
  • Positive Attitude. I will be real honest with you....sometimes those long runs can really suck! your body just isn't getting into a rhythm and you trudge through every. single. mile. I will never forget last year on the day I ran 16 miles. It was probably the worst run of my entire training. But I didn't give up, and when I finished I said to myself, "It's done and I can mark it off my list!" No matter how much it sucks sometimes, keep a positive attitude. 
As I head further into my training, I will keep ya'll updated with the progress of my training...hopefully it will keep those of you training inspired. HAPPY RUNNING! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changing things up

Chiropractic Care

Don't be that person (A dummy's guide to gym etiquette)